Monday, March 11, 2013

Good Scans. Good News

Just a short post here to report back that I met with Dr. L to talk about the post-chemo scans and they  looked good.

But for all the good results, this has proven to be an all but impossible post for me to write and I'm not sure why. So rather than labor over this for any more than the 90 minutes that I've been laboring, I'm going to sum up:


  • Scans and blood worked liked great.
  • Whatever nodes that are visibly larger than normal are under 1 cm and most likely just scar tissue at this point.
  • I have the choice of watching and waiting on Rituxan maintenance therapy (1 day every two months for two years). While some studies point toward some remission benefits from the Rituxan maintenance strategy, those studies didn't look at patients who had come off a BR (bendamustine-rituxan) regimen as I did, but rather at those coming off R-CHOP. And even in those studies, there wasn't necessarily an overall survival benefit.
  • For me, maintenance therapy may give some sense of empowerment in that you might feel like you're actively attacking the cancer, it also to me is an acknowledgement that you're still sick, which, if you haven't guessed, means I'm leaning toward watch-and-wait.  

That's about all I have for tonight. 

--michael 

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the good scan news. And good luck with the R-M vs. WW decision.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I do congratulate you on the great news and thank you for writing such a great blog. I found your blog yesterday and read the whole thing with great interest. Turns out you are just a month ahead of me in your treatment with so many similarities. I've been searching for an answer as to the Rituxin once every two months for two years and we agree completely. Thanks and good luck! Mugsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mugsy. Glad you found the blog and good luck with your decision!

      Delete
  3. SO glad you received good results from your scans! Your 4th point is spot-on. I'm a do-er by nature, so while Rituxan maintenance does give me a sense of empowerment in that I am doing something, it is also a reminder that I still have to deal with this. Life is normal for 7 weeks, then I am reminded of my situation during that 8th week and some anxiety comes with that. However, all that being said, the process of maintenance is so easy and the side effects virtually non-existent that - for me - I feel like it was the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. As my oncologist essentially said, either decision is right. It's whatever's right for you. Glad the maintenance is relatively easy for you!

      Delete
  4. Congrats - a real milestone.

    As to the question of maintenance Rituxan or not, I think it boils down to a philosophical choice almost, given that 'either decision is right' as your oncologist put it. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable (and for Rachel as well of course).

    One funny comment from my clinic head, who has also practiced in the States, when I asked about Rituxan: Some centres prescribe it like water! He didn't recommend it in my case post-allo SCT so I have one less reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found this place and its of great comfort as im goinjg through my second lot of cancer,i will be reading all your posts as this time my cancer can only be dealt with with chemo to slow it down,but my second scan showed it had got a bit smaller,im off chemo for a while due for another scan in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed for a good result,my only fear is that i know its not going to go away,thankyou for a lovely encouraging page, Janice

    ReplyDelete