Sunday, October 1, 2017

All Done

So where are we? 

I’m occupying that strange land that lies at the end of treatment and  before we take the pretty pictures that tell us how effective that treatment was. Scans won’t happen for another two months but rather than feeling overwhelmed by anxiety, I  feel pretty calm. Not to sound like a seasoned veteran but I’ve done this before. Rituxan worked before. I have no reason to believe it won’t work again. And if it doesn’t, well, we’ll address that when we get there. So until then…some comments and observations about this round of treatment.

Treatment Not Chemo
First go round, I did Rituxan and Bendamustine. The latter (Bendamustine) is a nasty toxic little chemical substance, thus it is definitely chemotherapy. Rituxan, on the other hand, is a monoclonal antibody — so a type of immuno, not chemo, therapy. This go round? No Bendamustine thankfully. So that’s why I refer to it as treatment and not chemo. In case you were wondering.

Easy Does It
Because it's a targeted treatment, and not the broad, systemic toxin that Bendamustine is, the Rituxan treatment is about as easy as it goes. I felt fine, with the except for a little headache, fogginess on the Saturday after each treatment. I continued my running each week, and this week, I'm back up to my 10-15 mile a week schedule. That's great, but it creates a strange disconnect when you're sitting in the waiting room, about to get treatment feeling healthy, and are surrounded by people much sicker than you. I felt simultaneously lucky and guilty, and occasionally apprehensive, after all since the eighth floor is all hematologic oncology, all the patients there were likely lymphoma, leukemia or myeloma patients. Hard not to see the sicker patients and wonder if that could be you some day.

 
Super Sensitive
Ever drink too much and couldn’t move your head (or any part of your body) without the whole room spinning? Couldn’t shut your eyes? Couldn’t move your eyes? Yeah, that’s me on too much Benadryl, all at once.

So on week three, Lana, my angel of a nurse (more on her later), slowly, slowly pushed the Benadryl in my IV. It was the slowest she’s ever pushed 50 mls of Benadryl, she said. What’s the point? When it comes to medicine, I’m super sensitive. Makes for a cheap date.

The slow push worked well — some vertigo but manageable. And by week four, we were feeling confident enough that I wouldn’t react to the Rituxan that we went back to Benadryl pills. Much better.


Little Things Matter
When you’re spending seven (the shortest day) to 11 hours (the longest day) in the same infusion chair with the same staff, little things matter. Having Stacy there for the second half of each day was key. Often, we were just surfing on our own devices much of the time, but the physical company helps. So do the little things that Dana-Farber does, like having volunteers push around a food cart for refreshments. And smiling. Nurses, techs, volunteers all greet you with a smile. When you’re going through treatment — even when it’s as relatively easy as mine was — a smile helps. 

Big Things Matter, Too
One of the biggest things about doing a course of infusion is having the same infusion nurse. No matter that all the notes from previous rounds are well documented, and that they’re all capable and nice. As a patient, you feel like your nurse knows you. And I felt like Lana knew us — me and Stacy. It was Lana, my nurse, who was there well past her shift end, when my first infusion lasted until 8:30 pm. I was glad to see her familiar (and yes, smiling) face on weeks 2 and 3. And when she wasn’t my nurse on week 4, she still checked in to see how we were doing. I remember when the Yawkey building opened back in in 2011, I was on a few committees and as people talked about the clinic switchover form one building to the new building, one of the big concerns was whether patients would have their same infusion nurse. I didn’t see the big deal back then. I get it now. 

--Michael


5 comments:

  1. I just started my blog. I enjoyed reading this. I've only got one post, but would appreciate any words of wisdom you could pass along. DutchHollund.blogspot.com Take care keep fighting and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorectal cancer, cancer of the large intestine, is the fourth most common cancer in North America. Many cases of colorectal cancer are associated with low levels of physical activity and with diets that are low in fruits and vegetables. Individuals with a family history of the disease have a higher risk. I crumble with this disease for 5 years also with a lot of scaring thought in my head because i was just waiting for death every day of my life until My Son came to me in the hospital explaining to me that he has find a herbal healer from Nigeria to cure my Colo-Rectal Cancer,I was so shocked with the ideal also i was excited inside of me.My son asked me to let us give him a try because we have really heard a lot of scammer pretending to cure all sort of diseases with herbal medicine and some of them never get a positive result at the end of it all but we was very confident on this herbal doctor,like i said we give him a try and he sent me a herbal medicine to drink for three weeks, Sincerely I'm telling you today I' alive and healthy no more laying on sick bed,No more Colo-Rectal Cancer.I'm sharing this testimony on here for people who are sick to contact this Wonderful man,His name is Dr Itua.And His contact Whatsapp_+2348149277967____Email... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.He can cure those diseases like:Bladder cancerBreast cancerColorectal cancerKidney cancerLeukemiaLung cancerNon-Hodgkin lymphomaProstate cancerSkin cancerUterine cancerParkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, Spell,Stroke,Lottery Spell,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility,Tach Disease ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma, (measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Allergic diseases.Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis
    Love Spell,Diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is hoover, my 18 years old daughter, Tricia was diagnosed of herpes 3 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile. The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then, i came across a comment on dr imoloa herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the him and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs through DHL courier service. my daughter used it as directed dr imoloa and in less than 14days, my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr imoloa today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge; lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease.  and many more; contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com./ also on  whatssap-+2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete