Saturday, August 27, 2022

Round Two: New Attitude, New Hairstyle

 As I near the start of my second round of r-chop, it's hard to believe that round one was less than three weeks ago. On the day before my first infusion, I had to page my oncologist for some stronger narcotic painkillers. The walk from the waiting room to the exam room on that Tuesday was more a shuffle than a walk. And I had no idea when I would start to feel better. After a long fe weeks, it felt like I was at the bottom of a very steep hill, with little energy and no view of the crest. 

Today, I went out for my second run of the week. Granted, it's about two minutes off my normal pace and less than half the distance, but I'll take it. I worked the full week, at full strength; went out to dinner for Matt's 21st birthday (outside, of course); and, I've got a new haircut to boot, as my hair started to clump out last Wednesday, as somewhat expected. I'm on no meds to speak of and looking forward to getting round two in the books.

Less than three weeks. 

It's good to keep that in mind as I head into subsequent treatments, be it r-chop or whatever comes ahead. That may be an autologous stem cell transplant (some good background info on transplants here) if the r-chop achieves full remission; or it may be Car-T cell Therapy if we only see partial remission. Car-T is a relatively new and exciting treatment option (more on that here.) 

Time will tell which option is the path forward. We'll do scans after round three. Until then, there's nothing to do but wait and see... and remember that a lot can happen in a few weeks. 




9 comments:

  1. Bravo, Michael…your attitude and fortitude will see you through!
    — Luisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael: I am sorry to have only recently come to know you but thank you for taking the time (not to mention the energy) to share your journey. You have already done twice the number of runs this week that I have managed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belated thanks Mark for the note! Blogspot doesn't always notify me of comments and I forget to check. Here's to two or so more this round.

      Delete
  3. I’m so glad to see that there are several treatment options. Here’s to good things ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock the bald. Not everyone can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael I was diagnosed in 2012 and my treatment was 2 months behind you. I read your blog religiously and your positive attitude kept me going during a scary time. You helped me know what to expect and made me feel like I wasn’t alone in this journey.I always check to see how your doing and was pleased to see no posts. I’m sorry you have to deal with again but just know you have people from around the world rooting for you. Thank you so much for journaling and stay strong. You will beat this! K-from California

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks K! I hope you're doing well. I'm so glad to hear that my blog connected with you and really appreciate you checking in, and even more grateful for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete