Monday, March 20, 2023

Day +4: What I'm Looking Forward To

Today was a slightly more difficult day. Nothing serious, and mostly caused by the Cytoxan -- the chemo/immunosuppressant drug. Between the second day of it, and the medication to make sure I'm peeing 200ml/hour and then some (more than you probably need to know), sleep was at a premium last night. And the slight sleep deprivation and a somewhat persistent, if mild, nausea, made for a tad less comfort this afternoon. But my numbers continue to drop as expected and at some point soon they'll bottom out, and then we wait for them to climb back.

So I thought I'd spend some time thinking about a few of the things I'm looking forward to when I'm discharged.

  1. Cracking open a window. Stacy has done an amazing job of turning our bedroom into a recovery room, and with the spring weather starting, it'll be nice to have windows open, fresh air, and the sounds of birds in the trees.
  2. Going outside. Walking the 95 steps of 4C is, well, it sucks. No two ways about it. But I'm doing it because exercise is important. But to be able to walk around our circle in the spring weather sounds like heaven right now.
  3. Company. Stacy and my family and everyone have been great about visiting, texting and calling. But it will be great when Stacy can pop upstairs for 5 minutes, instead of taking an hour plus trip in to see me.
  4. My dogs! I'm not sure how we will deal with them as I have to be careful and make sure they don't lick me or scratch me. But we will find a way and it will be nice.
  5. My smart TV. Watching Friends reruns on the small hospital TV with the detached speaker is all fine and good... for a while. It'll be nice to access our streaming services on a screen bigger than my laptop. 
  6. Food. Non-hospital food, available in less than an hour. I'm well stocked now with my own provisions, but even still, if I want something like a protein shake - tonight's primary dinner - it's 45-60 minutes away.  

That's it for tonight. Just writing this list out makes me feel better. We'll get there. Thanks to everyone for their support. It's been a wonderful gift to receive.

--michael

4 comments:

  1. Michael, impressed as always by your attitude and thoughtfulness. And how well you're describing all this, even during your hospital stay! Very best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Eric - With Richard's retirement and all, been thinking of you and hope you're doing well. All my best, Michael

      Delete
    2. I am amazed to warrant a mention in the midst of the monumental stuff you're going through -- but be assured I am thinking of you a ton and am buoyed by your resilience and even humor. though I never should have doubted it.

      Delete
  2. Think of all the bragging rights you're accumulating and all of the tall tales you'll have to tell, including how many ml/hour you're peeing. That's quite impressive. Keep me posted. I'm charting it. (:

    ReplyDelete