Saturday, April 1, 2023

Day +16: Here We Go

Yesterday, the much awaited white blood cell count growth began, moving up from 0.04 to 0.13 k/ul. (By contrast, normal range is 4.0 - 10.0.) Given that it had only inched up from 0.02 to 0.04 in two days, that's dramatic growth and made me more eager than ever to see what the counts would be here on day +16.

And sure enough the trend line continued this morning with the white blood cells climbing to 0.45. The key count is my absolute neutrophils which have gone from unmeasurable to 70 yesterday to 360 today. When I'm over 500 for two days, it's time to go home. Right now the plan is to be discharged on  Monday. The idea of going home in two days is as surreal as it is exciting, particular as my platelets were low enough to require an infusion again today. I'm told though that platelets are the last part of the immune system to generate, so it's not unusual to go home, knowing that I'll need a platelet infusion or two in the coming week(s).

As of today, I've been in the hospital for about three-and-a-half weeks. That means nearly 50 nurse shifts and at this point, I think I've been cared for by just about every nurse and patient care assistant (and a few student nurses) on the floor. I'm lucky to live close enough to Boston to be able to be treated by the caliber of nurses, PAs and physicians who have seen - and will continue to see -- me.

In addition to their calmness, professionalism, kindness and skill - which I have come to take for granted -  what I appreciate the most is their empathy, compassion and optimism. In the agonizing slowness of the hospital life, in the darkness that can make optimism hard to muster, it's incredibly uplifting to see and hear their smile behind their mask and to bask in their positive energy. 

My time on 4C may be winding down, but that positivity will stay with me. Here's to the next post coming from the home front. 

--michael 


3 comments:

  1. Michael, Aunt Ann and I are thrilled for you. You have been brave beyond words. I can't imagine how you endured through so much. Now how about turning your blogs into a book. Your journal is as beneficial to those who love someone with cancer as it is to someone with cancer. Think about it. Good luck moving forward. Keep on keeping all of your admirers informed, educated, and entertained. All our love. Aunt Ann and Uncle Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The thought of a book has entered my mind but I have to give it some more thought.

      Delete
  2. Yes, you could turn this experience into a riveting book! What a journey, narrated by one of the best! -- Luisa

    ReplyDelete