Saturday, January 5, 2013

Blog of the Year Award 2012

With thanks to Andrew at My Lymphoma Journey, Thinking Out Loud has been nominated for a 2012 Blog of The Year Award.

I'm pleased to hear that, but even more pleased that the blog has proven to be exactly what I needed for navigating my cancer journey. When it began as a private space to jettison the baggage that was weighing me down, it was immensely therapeutic. It remains that - and even more important for me now as I finish up by chemo treatment plan (only one more round to go!) - but it's been immensely gratifying to see and hear (via comments, emails and other communications) that it's been helpful for others who are diagnosed, or have friends and family that have been diagnosed. I hope that continues in 2013.

My favorite blogs for 2012 are varied -- sometimes very self-focused -- and only a few relate to cancer. Here are some, I'll call it my Eclectic Eight, oops, make that Nine in random order.

1. My Lymphoma Journey - I love Andrew's blog because of his outlook, and his extensive posting of other blog links of interest. I followed many of his links to great information. And I would have nominated him WELL before he nominated me if I had known about it.

2. Momastery - I don't think there's a person out there with a bigger heart than Glennon Melton and her band of Monkees. I love her humor and her philosophy. She has more faith than I do, but that never stops me from appreciating her bruitful honesty and approach.

3. A Little Peace of Paper - My creative talent starts and stops with words on the page. Stacy's extends to the 3-dimensional world and her creative talents put a smile on my face. Okay in the interest of full-disclosure, we are married but still, all bias aside, it's a great little blog.

4. Life Interrupted - Suleika Jaloud writes with honesty and emotion in her beautiful blog about a young adult whose life was just beginning when cancer interrupted.

5. Fenway Reflections - If you're a diehard baseball fan or if you want some great perspective on Boston sports, Saul Wisnia's blog is for you. This sports-writer and multi-book author's blog offers great takes on current events and historical context.

6. Floatsam of the Mind - Cynthia, I might make it my resolution to read this more often. It's a lighter side of my basic rationale for my blog (thinking out loud) and it gives me a chance to smile and see your photography!

7. NIH Director's Blog - I've stayed away from corporate, institutional or professional bloggers for the most part (otherwise, I'd be obligated to list Dana-Farber's Insight) but I started following Dr. Francis Collins blog recently and it's informative and intelligent and worth reading (and very professionally done.)

8. Well Scituated - Another creative outlet for me, Jess' is a talented designer who is turning her talent to momhood and her beautiful baby Ainsley. As a kindred creative, I liked her design thoughts and look forward to the blog's migration to momhood!

9. Martin's Musings - I don't know if the genesis of this blog is from Martin's Moments back at our day's working together at Melcher St. but it's evolved into a fun and interesting read.


There they are, my Eclectic Elite 8 er, 9. Hope you enjoy them.
--michael

p.s. the Rules follow



“The rules for this award are the following (applies to all nominees):
  1. Select the blog(s) you think deserve the ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award
  2. Write a blog post and tell us about the blog(s) you have chosen – there’s no minimum or maximum number of blogs required – and ‘present’ them with their award.
  3. Please include a link back to this page ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award – http://thethoughtpalette.co.uk/our-awards/blog-of-the-year-2012-award/ and include these ‘rules’ in your post (please don’t alter the rules or the badges!)
  4. Let the blog(s) you have chosen know that you have given them this award and share the ‘rules’ with them.
  5. You can now also join our Facebook group – click ‘like’ on this page ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award Facebook group and then you can share your blog with an even wider audience
  6. https://www.facebook.com/groups/BlogoftheYear/.
  7. As a winner of the award – please add a link back to the blog that presented you with the award – and then proudly display the award on your blog and sidebar … and start collecting stars…
6-stars-image
Unlike other awards which you can only add to your blog once – this award is different! When you begin you will receive the ‘1 star’ award – and every time you are given the award by another blog – you can add another star!
There are a total of 6 stars to collect. Which means that you can check out your favourite blogs, and even if they have already been given the award by someone else, then you can still bestow it on them again and help them to reach the maximum 6 stars!”
--MIchael

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for including me, Michael. I'm not sure if I'll follow through, as I just subjected my readers to a similar process for another blogger-to-blogger award. I hope you will keep reading. (As a dad, you might get a chuckle out of my latest, I Said What?)

    Mostly, I'm thrilled to have the link to Stacy's blog, which she has been keeping to herself. She really is incredibly talented. I have an amazing card she made for me right above my computer as I type.

    Congrats to you. I have enjoyed hearing how treatment is going from your perspective (as I occasionally get Stacy's and it's interesting to compare), but I appreciate how helpful your blog must be to someone who shares your experience or has a loved one doing the same.

    Best of health in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia! (and thanks for the link). I did read the I Said What post and yes, you completely punted.

      Delete
  2. I also linked to your blog from the Flotsam of the Mind Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FlotsamOfTheMind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out, Michael! My blog wasn't inspired by the Martin Moments, but it started around that same time: http://martinlieberman.com/2005/09/01/better-late-than-never/ In those early days it was a lot of random stuff like I'd present in those "Moments." Regardless, I'm glad you find it a good read.

    I'm glad you find blogging therapeutic, and more importantly, that your treatment is going well. Likewise, your blog is insightful and helpful to me as someone who is concerned about your health but doesn't want to be a nuisance and ask all the time how you're doing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michael, for your kind comments. Best wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael, I finally had a few moments of quiet to read this and I want to thank you very much for your kind words about "Fenway Reflections." Your own blog has been inspiring to read and I'm sure helpful to many people besides (and I'm glad this is the case) yourself. When I get another few moments I'll go on and put in my votes. Thanks again and keep running!--Saul

    ReplyDelete