Monday, March 11, 2013

Good Scans. Good News

Just a short post here to report back that I met with Dr. L to talk about the post-chemo scans and they  looked good.

But for all the good results, this has proven to be an all but impossible post for me to write and I'm not sure why. So rather than labor over this for any more than the 90 minutes that I've been laboring, I'm going to sum up:


  • Scans and blood worked liked great.
  • Whatever nodes that are visibly larger than normal are under 1 cm and most likely just scar tissue at this point.
  • I have the choice of watching and waiting on Rituxan maintenance therapy (1 day every two months for two years). While some studies point toward some remission benefits from the Rituxan maintenance strategy, those studies didn't look at patients who had come off a BR (bendamustine-rituxan) regimen as I did, but rather at those coming off R-CHOP. And even in those studies, there wasn't necessarily an overall survival benefit.
  • For me, maintenance therapy may give some sense of empowerment in that you might feel like you're actively attacking the cancer, it also to me is an acknowledgement that you're still sick, which, if you haven't guessed, means I'm leaning toward watch-and-wait.  

That's about all I have for tonight. 

--michael