Friday, July 26, 2013

A Cancer Survivor at Two Years: Some Goals

In December 2011, six months after diagnosis and months before this blog became public, I wrote a few New Year's resolutions. Keep learning. Keep anxiety in check. Accept people for who they are. That's the summary. 

It's been a long two years and in most ways, I feel like the same person I was two years ago, and yet, I feel like I have one more layer to me now than I did before follicular lymphoma was a regular part of my vocabulary. There have been far more good times than not-so-good times -- kind of like life -- and I couldn't have made it through with my sanity in tact  without my old friends, my new friends out in the cancer blogosphere, my care team, my family, and, most critically, Stacy. 

As I said back in 2011, I'm not great about making resolutions (let alone keeping them) but as I move into year three of the epic, award-winning drama, "Life with Cancer," I thought it'd be interesting, maybe even helpful to set out some goals. 

As a baseball and soccer coach for a whole bunch of kids teams, I always tried to boil things down into easily remembered steps. The earliest list I had for Matthew, for example, was: Line up your hands. Line up your feet. Eyes on the ball. Swing hard.  I've probably said, "Step straight. Throw straight." about 10,000 times over the years. 

I've also developed what I guess I'd call a philosophy of coaching that can be summed up in four rules. 
  • Play Hard
  • Play Fair
  • Listen to Coach
  • Have Fun
That's it. Do I want soccer players to stay in position? Yes. Should baseball players swing at strikes? Yes. Hit cutoffs? Pass the ball? Clear it wide? Anticipate the play? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. But overall, those four rules are the most important principles to me. And it struck me the other day, they also apply to cancer survivorship. 

Living takes effort.  Sometimes we need to overcome the inertia to do things and not just talk about how we want to do things.  I don't believe in bucket lists or in simply accumulating experiences. But the flip side of that coin is: I don't want to avoid experiences because they're new, unknown, take planning, take effort -- that's what makes them experiences.

I know that I'm at my happiest and best when I keep myself busy -- with work and with play. So my goal is to live fully. To not back away from difficult things. To do things that I want to do, even if they're hard. Sometimes it's hard to get off the metaphorical and literal couch, but as we say in baseball coaches land, you can't get a hit if you don't swing at the ball. Play hard.

Life isn't always fair. No one equitably distributes opportunity, wealth, health, or box seats to the Red Sox. If life was fair, there wouldn't be 13.6 million cancer survivors. But just because life isn't fair, doesn't mean we can't live fairly. We can pick up our fellow survivors when they're down, not bemoan the bad bounce of the ball that led to diagnosis, and not begrudge others' successes. I don't need others to fail for me to succeed. Play fair.

I have a lot of ideas. Even more opinions. But apparently, so do other people. And often, their ideas are different than mine. Maybe even better. Their way of doing things may be different. Generally speaking, I'm not someone who seeks out conflict. But as comfortable as it would be if we all agreed on everything, disagreement and conflict can be the door to learning. And the way to open that door is to listen. Hearing people doesn't mean I have to take them up on their advice. I just have to listen.

When I go over the four rules with any youth team, I always leave Have Fun for last. Most kids have little trouble with this one; having fun is baked into most kids' nature. 

Sometimes, we can learn a lot from kids. 


10 comments:

  1. So happy you reached the two year mark! I agree with your latest blog. I'm also at my happiest when I'm busy with work and play too. Gotta have a mix! Keep going strong Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 2 year remission! I got my DX on 7/7/11! How are those for numbers! VERY grateful that it was grade 1 or 2 fNHL, and not 3a or even worse 3b! I learned a lot. The biggest thing I learned is you need to learn about your disease. My first Dr told me that it was treated for quality of life, and not length of life, and that 20 years from now was not a consideration for me, 5, 10, maybe 15, but I was going to die from cancer. Had I listened to all my friends who said "Listen to the Drs and do what they say" I would not be as happy now. I researched and that statement just did not hold true anymore. It did hold true in the 1980's when my mom died of this cancer, but that was a long time ago. I got into a trial at U of M with Bexxar. GREAT move. Got my hot dose on 1/18/12, and a scan showing me cancer free on 2/28/12! (was stage 4 with 10 to 15% BMI). I had started playing drums again shortly before my DX. Then after DX I decided to get serious about drumming. I now play in 2 jazz bands, and get to sit in at rehearsals as needed for a 16 piece jazz big band! Life after cancer is even better than life before, I think because we appreciate it so much more now!
    Hope you continue in remission for many years, keep living life!
    God Bless
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom - thanks so much for the content. That comment you got from your first DR would have freaked me out! I know there's a lot of stats thrown around and treatment today is very different than it was in the 80s and early 90s. I'll read up on Bexxar - have heard about it but don't know much about.

    Keep drumming!
    --michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too....2 years in April. Like you, "My goal is to life fully"
    Flo
    www.perksofcancer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Flo. Enjoyed your web site too. You might like this earlier post about perks (although it's at least a bit tongue-in-cheek). http://msbuller.blogspot.com/2012/11/top-10-perks-of-being-treated-for.html

      --michael

      Delete
  5. 11 yrs, and trying to live life to the fullest! :)

    Bea Rite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to hear it! (Both the 11 years part and the living to the fullest part!)

      Delete
  6. I love your blog. As a breast cancer survivor I so strongly identify with so much of what you write about. It's been very helpful to read & thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I'm so glad it's been helpful.

      Delete