Sunday, March 5, 2023

Caregiving and the Heaviness of It All

 Stacy was discharged from the hospital Monday night.

That's how I had intended to start this post. I'll get to that story shortly, but there's a lot rattling around my brain this week. I'm now five days from being admitted; five days from voluntarily turning my life upside down; five days from making myself feel like shit so I can hopefully feel better for a long time; five days from stepping away from my friends and colleagues who occupy so much of my time and account for so much of my identity; five days from making life so much harder for my family.  

That's been weighing on me a lot these past few days, with a physical heaviness that I could feel pushing down on my shoulders and back, and so loudly that it was sometimes hard to hear a casual conversation. 

Part of the weight is the uncertainty - I just don't know how I'll feel or how quickly I'll recover. Will I be able to work part time after two months? I don't know. When will I be able to walk my dog again? When will I be able to see people again? When will I feel "normal" again -- and not a new normal, just plain old normal? When will I be able to run again? I don't know any of that.

But part of the weight is the heaviness of the burden that this will put on my family. I got a brief glimpse of the caregiver role this past week when Stacy spent three days in Miriam Hospital  After experiencing intense abdominal and back pain that had us flashing back to the summer and my symptoms, and understandably freaking out a bit, a trip to the  ER led to a diagnosis of a whole lotta gallstones and an emergency gall bladder surgery for Stacy, and a taste of caregiving role for me. She was discharged last Monday night and is recovering well. But in the short time in the hospital and the ensuing week at home, I caught sight of the emotional burden of caregiving. And it's not light.

But here we are. We start down the path in five days. Some uncertainties will go away; others will emerge. And in the process, we will begin what we hope is the road to long-term recovery.




 

7 comments:

  1. So sorry that you -- and Stacy -- had to go through that experience, but glad to hear she is doing better and home. As I told my best friend from childhood before his heart transplant, try not to think about the burden you are putting on your family, but on the hope you are giving them for many more happy, healthy years together. Your commitment to them, and theirs to you, is at the core of this entire process. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, did not mean for that to come through as anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael completely understand what you’re going through. Had lung surgery in October and saw the impact in my husband. Maybe cause 10 years ago we were younger. My mind has swirled since then that I need to get extra help as I go on this journey moving forward. Remind your wife to have support for herself. This journey is brutal for both of you in different ways. I will pray that your transplant goes well and this will all be behind you. K-from CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K. Appreciate as always your thoughtful comments, and for your virtual company on this journey.

      Delete
  4. Thinking of you, and totally assuming the best out of all this mishegoss, Michael ... -- Fondly, Luisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping you're coming along nicely, Michael ... -- Luisa

    ReplyDelete