Saturday, November 3, 2012

Home-Field Advantage

I met up with some old coaching buddies last night. Over the course of a couple beers, we caught up on kids, life, and of course health. Talking about treatment has become easier for me as I move through it; it's now a part of my routine, like commuting,  working, and soccer practice. I look forward to the days when it's no longer part of my routine. But while it is, I continue to be not necessarily shocked or amazed, but pleasantly suprrised at the acts of kindness and support from people near and far -- like the cookies a friend dropped off last night, or the emails from people with whom I haven't spoken in more than 5 years, or 10 years.

Sometimes it's almost embarrassing to accept the amount of support I feel, but more often it feels like I have a whole stadium of people on my side. In the debate about "battle" imagery in describing the "fight" against cancer, I've heard some people object to its use for fear of making patients feel like they've let their friends and family -- and their care team -- down if they don't respond well to a treatment. As if the poor response is some fault of their own.  I get that, but when I think about the encouragement, prayers and postive energy I've experienced, I can't help but think of it metaphorically as a battle, or a tough sports match, and importantly, one where I have the home-field advantage. 

Next kick-off is Thursday about 11:30.

--michael

3 comments:

  1. Hi Michael

    I think that when you are diagonised with cancer the reaction from people can be suprising. Some dont know what to say or how to act around you, while others will show great acts of kindness. From your blog it would seem this has been your experience. You see I believe cancer breaks down all kinds of barriers and reservations. It creates a reality check not only for the patient but also their friends and family and makes us look at some very big questions.

    I think that its is great you decided to blog about your experience and create some discussion.

    In your blog you talk about the imagery of fighting cancer not sure what I think of this .....could seem like we are fighting against ourselves.

    Well have to sign off now best wishes to you and I hope you continue to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. It's an interesting thought to say we are fighting against ourselves. Accurate in many ways as cancer is really a war of cells - healthy ones vs mutated ones that refuse to die and grow uncontrollably. So we are truly fighting ourselves - sometimes with the help of powerful medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael,

      Good response. I agree that cancer is a physical battle but I sometimes think that its the emotionel battle thats harder. But I supose that after we survive we can go on to thrive!!!!!

      Delete