Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Top 10 Perks of Being Treated for Follicular Lymphoma


Cancer is serious stuff.  I know that.

There are many aspects of the disease that just can't be sugar-coated. And there are many people who have both a more challenging diagnosis and a tougher treatment plan than I do. Yet in my case, a diagnosis comes with some silver lining;  a deeper connection with friends and family, a stronger sense of gratitude, and even a renewed sense of purpose. Those exist side by side with the uglier side of the disease. That said, these larger truths are somewhat expected, at least in hindsight. Blogs, and other outlets (including this one) are filled with so many stories of deeper appreciation that it becomes almost cliche.

As I begin my third chemo cycle tomorrow, I've also noticed a few unexpected benefits. Granted, I'd gladly give up all of these if it meant I could get rid of the cancer.  But since I can't, to lighten it up a bit, here are my Top 10 Perks of Being Treated for Follicular Lymphoma (with apologies to Letterman). 

# 10. Legal use of steroids. Get that buff feeling without working out,

# 9. Emails from friends you haven't heard from in 10 years. 

#8. Frequent e-mails, texts and calls from close friends and family


#7. Playing the chemo card - "Sorry, I can't make the 3-hour chimes concert. I need a nap."


#6. Discount hotel rates in Boston (okay, only at one hotel, and only if you have appointments)

#5. Being the only one in the room who can quote Arnold from Kindergarten Cop  - "It's not a TUmah"

#4. Six hours of football watching with no guilt 

#3. Get out of dentist free card

#2. Goodbye insomnia.  Hellooooo Ativan! 

And the number one perk of being treated for follicular lymphoma is...

 Being one step closer to no longer being treated.

Here's to being halfway through treatment after this cycle. 

-- 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Michaei

    Me again. Its great hear that you just about halfway through your treatment. Think the list is great and propably very true but isnt it a pity that it takes something as seroius as cancer for us and others to realise how presious life is......but I guess that's human nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, and yes, I agree, it's either a pity that it takes something like cancer, or it's a genius design. Genius, in that, it gives us this great silver lining at a time when we need it most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see your sense of humour more than intact. Nice list, And congrats on the half-way mark - over the hump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff Michael. I agree No. 1 is the best but I think No. 7 and 4 sound pretty good too. It is nice to reconnect with old friends, even if the reason behind their reaching out is not so great. Whenever people put down Facebook, I always defend it as a great way to catch up with people as little or as much as you want. Blogs like this are are as well; you get to reach out with a virtual letter, and people who don't feel comfortable talking to you about your cancer can still keep tabs on how you're doing. And by the way, I hope you have as good a long weekend as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Andrew - thanks indeed. Congrats on your book! I need to make my way over and buy me a copy.
    @Saul - Thanks as well. And re: #4... Look out, we just added Fox Soccer channel and Matthew and I now have about 20 Premier League and UEFA Champions League games queued up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. epithelial tissue subtypes

    ReplyDelete